The Ballon d’Or, or ‘Golden Ball’, is an esteemed football award, annually presented by France Football since 1956, celebrating the crème de la crème of male football talent based on yearly performance. The award is a hallmark of individual excellence, distinguishing a player’s superior performance in a competitive global arena. Winning the Ballon d’Or is a pinnacle of achievement, a dream adorned by footballers worldwide, boosting not only their acclaim but also contributing to the legacy of the clubs they represent. The Ballon d’Or transcends continental borders, spotlighting deserving talent, regardless of geographic origin and making it a universally revered accolade in the football community.
This introductory segment provides a snapshot into the eminent realm of the Ballon d’Or, laying a foundation for the deeper exploration of its historical evolution, the intricacies of its awarding process, and the illustrious galaxy of its recipients.
2023 Ballon d’Or Winner
Ballon d’Or Award Nominees for 2023
The Ballon d’Or is a highly esteemed award in the football world, and each year, numerous skilled players are nominated for this prestigious accolade. For the 2023 Ballon d’Or, a diverse group of male footballers have been nominated, representing various clubs and nationalities. Here are the nominees for the 2023 Ballon d’Or:
- Josko Gvardiol (RB Leipzig and Manchester City)
- Andre Onana (Inter Milan and Manchester United)
- Karim Benzema (Real Madrid and Al-Ittihad)
- Mohamed Salah (Liverpool)
- Jamal Musiala (Bayern Munich)
- Bukayo Saka (Arsenal)
- Randal Kolo Muani (Eintracht Frankfurt and Paris Saint-Germain)
- Jude Bellingham (Borussia Dortmund and Real Madrid)
- Kevin De Bruyne (Manchester City)
- Bernardo Silva (Manchester City)
- Khvicha Kvaratskhelia (Napoli)
- Emiliano Martinez (Aston Villa)
- Ruben Dias (Manchester City)
- Nicolo Barella (Inter Milan)
- Erling Haaland (Manchester City)
- Martin Odegaard (Arsenal)
- Ilkay Gundogan (Manchester City and Barcelona)
- Yassine Bounou (Sevilla and Al-Hilal)
- Julian Alvarez (Manchester City)
- Vinicius Jr (Real Madrid)
- Rodrigo (Manchester City)
- Lionel Messi (Paris Saint-Germain and Inter Miami)
- Antoine Griezmann (Atletico Madrid)
- Lautaro Martinez (Inter Milan)
- Robert Lewandowski (Barcelona)
- Kim Min-jae (Napoli and Bayern Munich)
- Luka Modric (Real Madrid)
- Kylian Mbappe (Paris Saint-Germain)
- Victor Osimhen (Napoli)
- Harry Kane (Tottenham Hotspur and Bayern Munich)
Eligibility Criteria of Ballon d’Or
The Ballon d’Or, often seen as the pinnacle of individual recognition in football, has an eligibility and voting process aimed at ensuring the award goes to the most deserving player of the year. Here’s a breakdown of how it works:
- Player Performance: Players are judged based on their performances over the previous football season instead of a calendar year, a change implemented in 2022.
- Global Eligibility: Initially, the award was only open to European players but in 1995, it expanded to include players from all around the world, as long as they were plying their trade at European clubs. By 2007, the eligibility was broadened further to include all professional footballers worldwide, regardless of the club’s location.
Voting Process of Ballon d’Or
- Panel of Journalists: Traditionally, the winner of the Ballon d’Or is decided by a panel of international journalists. Each journalist selects three players, awarding five points to their first choice, three points to their second choice, and one point to their third choice.
- National Coaches and Captains: In 2007, the voting process expanded also to include national coaches and captains, who cast their votes in a similar point-distribution manner as the journalists.
- Public Voting: For a brief period, public voting was also incorporated into the decision-making process, though this aspect was later removed.
- Voting Restrictions: In the 2022 iteration, only countries in the top 100 of the FIFA World Ranking were allowed to vote, refining the process to ensure votes were coming from footballing nations with a higher standing on the global stage.
Who won the maximum number of Ballon d’Or titles?
The record for the most Ballon d’Or titles is held by Lionel Messi, who has won the award seven times. His remarkable achievements on the pitch have seen him clinch the prestigious accolade in 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2015, 2019, and 2021. His consistent excellence and incredible skill have placed him at the pinnacle of football’s honours, making history with his seventh Ballon d’Or win.
Ballon d’Or winners from 2014 to 2023
Here are the Ballon d’Or winners from 2014 to 2023:
What is the Ballon d’Or?
The Ballon d’Or, or ‘Golden Ball,’ is a prestigious annual award to the best male football players based on their performance over the previous football season. The award has been bestowed by the French news magazine France Football since 1956.
How is the winner of the Ballon d’Or decided?
The winner is chosen through a voting process involving international journalists, and for a period, national coaches and captains were also part of the voting panel. Each voter selects three players, awarding five points to their first choice, three points to their second choice, and one point to their third choice.
Who holds the record for the most Ballon d’Or wins?
Lionel Messi holds the record with seven Ballon d’Or wins, followed by Cristiano Ronaldo with five wins.
When and where will the 2023 Ballon d’Or ceremony take place?
The 2023 Ballon d’Or ceremony is scheduled to occur on Monday, October 30, 2023, at the Théâtre du Châtelet in Paris, France. The red carpet arrivals are set to begin at 7 p.m. local time, with the ceremony slated to start at 8:30 p.m
Can the public vote for the Ballon d’Or?
No, the public cannot vote for the Ballon d’Or. The winner is determined through a voting process involving a panel of international journalists, and at times, national coaches and captains have also been part of the voting panel.
Who is the winner of 2023 Ballon d’Or
Lionel Messi has won the 2023 Ballon d’Or, marking his eighth win of this prestigious award, which is a testament to his outstanding football career and performance over the years.
How to stream Ballon d’Or 2023 Award Live?
You can stream the Ballon d’Or ceremony live on platforms or channels with broadcasting rights. In previous years, it was available on channels like ESPN, or online platforms like Paramount+ or the official France Football website. It’s advisable to check the latest updates from official Ballon d’Or or France Football announcements for the current streaming platforms.