Notice Writing – What is a notice? Any official document used for formal platforms which act as a medium to pass information to a certain group of people regarding a specific official matter is said to be a notice. In India, notices are published in both the government as well as private organizations.
Notice Writing also keeps people informed about past happenings or upcoming situations. Generally, notices are also used in educational institutions, any public place, or as a form of legal notice to a certain group of targeted audience and even printed out in the newspapers.
Notice is a simple document written in a very simple language that is proven with facts and is very brief and precise.
Earlier, notices were to be published or declared in an off-line mode on the noticeboard. Nowadays, with the technological advancements, notices have switched themselves to digital means in which the information can be conveyed through various online mediums like Applications, official websites, and emails.
The overall tone of the notice writing should be very formal.
Notice Writing Format
Whenever you are going to write a notice, it should include certain things. Notice should contain certain things like the organization name/ concerned authority who is issuing the notice/ heading line, followed by the date on which the notice is issued. One should also include the name of the person who is writing the notice along with their designation.
- Organization name
- The date on which the notice is issued and published
- Subject regarding what the notice contains
- The body of the notice should have the details regarding the place and time of that specific event
- Signature of the concerned authority and also the contact details of the authority.
Name of the concerned authority issuing the notice
The date on which the notice is published
Subject of Notice
Body of the notice
(When/ where/ event elaboration)
Signature of the concerned authority
(Name, designation, contact details, sign)
Examples of Notice writing:
Sample 1 – ( For school)
You are the secretary of the music club of your school. Write a notice inviting names of the students who want to participate in an interclass singing competition organized by you.
St Joseph’s school
21st September 2021
Bonjour holas! As spring ends, Summer begins. With every end, a new session begins with fresh hopes and boggling excitement. With high hopes, St Joseph’s high school is going to organize a singing competition for its students on the 22nd of October. All students who wish to participate in this interclass singing competition can give their names to the singing club members which would be collected by the 10th of October. A Google form would be circulated by the singing club and students will have to fill the Google form by the deadline. As you nurture yourself with all the extracurricular activities, we look forward to your entries so that you not only take part in this competition but also holistically develop yourself.
Singing club committee (Department)
Your club has looked forward to arranging a blood donation camp for the people who have recently suffered a terrible accident. As the president of the club, you have been given the responsibility to organize the blood camp to help the people who are injured. Write a notice regarding the above and also mention the date, time, and place of the event.
Golf Green club, Mumbai
Date: 27 March 2021
Subject: Organizing a blood donation camp
in our locality
With due respect, we would like to inform all the residents of the locality, that we, the members of Golf Green club are arranging a blood donation camp in our locality. As we know that due to a recent natural calamity, people have suffered a lot and many of them are dying due to the unavailability of blood. As responsible citizens, let’s stand beside them and be a helping hand to them. We cannot live without blood and therefore it is requested to all people donate some amount of blood to stand beside them and save their lives. We would be direct, donating the blood to the Blood Bank. The details of the blood camp are attached below:
- Date of the camp: 3rd April 2021
- Time: 10:30 AM to 4:30 PM
- Venue: golf Green club, Mumbai
- Eligibility: should be between 20- 60 years of age
- Deadline for submitting names: 29 March 2021
A Google form would be circulated regarding the submission of the names and we look forward to your full support in this organization of blood to nation and hope for making this venture successful. For further details, you can contact the undersigned.
President ( designation)
Golf Green club, Mumbai
You have found an expensive phone on your college campus. Draft a notice for the College notice board informing about the phone. Mention your year, branch, department, and all other necessary details.
St Xavier’s College, Mumbai
15 October 2021
Subject: Found an expensive phone on the college campus
This is to inform you that Yesterday evening I have come across an expensive phone which was lying down on the College field. I have kept it with myself and the owner of that phone is requested to contact the undersigned for receiving the phone during lunch time. My details are attached below:
Name: Jaya Srivastava
Branch: Physics department
Notice writing for CBSE class 12
Notice writing has been very important nowadays. Therefore, It is included in the syllabus for the higher secondary examinations.
Notice writing can be used for various reasons some of which are listed here:
- Regarding a competition which has to be held at the school/college/public levels
- Regarding an article that is lost and has been found by someone
- Regarding the commencement Of an event
- Regarding an exhibition which has to be held at the school/college/public levels
- For organizing blood donation camps
- To convey something information on the official platform
- To organize a trip for practical experience
In class 12, as per the CBSE syllabus, notice writing is a very important part of the examination.
There will be two questions in all from the notice writing section and one has to attempt any one out of the two. The writing would be consisting of notice, advertisement, posters, and invitation writing.
Rules for Notice Writing in Class 12th CBSE
Certain rules have to be followed while writing a notice in the CBSE English paper. We have written down all the tips which are required for writing the notice on the examination paper-
- In the question of notice writing, a certain Word limit would be assigned in the question itself. It is advised not to violate the word limit criteria as it would cut your marks. Generally, the word limit is stuck to 50 words.
- While writing notice the presentation is one of the most important factors which would lead you to fetch marks. It is for this reason you have to draw an outline or a border outside your notice to give it a perfect shape and alignment.
- The outline must be drawn with a pencil and whatsoever the information you provide in your notice should be precise and brief.
- While writing the heading and title, try to underline or highlight those points.
- Make sure you do not repeat information in your notice as this would lead to a penalty of marks.
- The subject should be short and should be of one line but it should be able to cover the statement of purpose.
- There is no need of using facts and exaggerated details.
- Do not provide any kind of personal information and keep it short and brief to the information provided in the question.
- Always provided the date, timing, Venue, place, and for what purpose the whole event of the notice adheres.
- The presentation should be very clear and the purpose of the notice must be fulfilled.
You can also check out our Formal letter article.
CBSE notice writing marking
Company name (Authorising agency) [1 mark]
Date( on which the notice is issued) [1 mark]
Subject( should be very attractive and must be highlighted with a pencil)
[2 marks] Body — (has three parts)
a) purpose of notice
b) details regarding the event
c) when where why?
Signature of the authority [1 mark]
Name of the concerned authority [1 mark]
Designation [1 mark]
Examples of notice writing in CBSE class 12 examinations:
As the principal of Guru Ram Rai Vidyalaya, Punjab, draft notice in not more than 50 words informing the students of the change in the school timings as the winter season is approaching effective from the 15th of October. Also, state valid reasons for the change.
Guru Ram Rai Vidyalaya,Punjab
25 September 2021
Change the school timings
As we know that the winter season is approaching soon, it is for this reason that there is a slight change in the timings. Students are hereby informed that the timings would be effective from 15th of October and the school would start at 8 am and end at 2:45 pm. During the winter season, there is extreme cold in the morning and also roads are covered with dense fog. These are the new timings till further notice.
Guru Ram Rai Vidyalaya ,Punjab
You are pinky Srinivas, Who is studying at DPS, New Delhi. As the student editor of your school, you are allotted to make the magazine of the year. Therefore draft notice in not more than 50 words for your school noticeboard inviting the articles and sketches from students of all classes.
DPS New Delhi
20 July 2019
Submission of the articles and sketches for the annual magazine
As you know that the session is rapidly ending itself, and the annual magazine is on its way to getting published. Students of all classes are hereby informed to submit their articles and sketches for the annual magazine. A Google form would be circulated regarding this and the articles have to be submitted in a Word format and the file has to be uploaded in the Google form. The sketches must be also in JPEG format and they must be uploaded in the Google form according to the size mentioned in the form. All the students who are interested to submit their articles and sketches must be aware that the deadline is the 25th of July 2019. Please ensure that the articles must not be plagiarised and your drawings must not be copied from anywhere. Hard copies are not accepted.
Frequently asked questions (FAQ)
For an exhibition
For a sports competition
For a festival celebration
Regarding the lost items
Blood donation camps
Change in the school timings
Whenever you are going to write a notice, it should include certain things and thereby there should be a stipulated format for writing a perfect notice. It should contain certain things like the organization name/ concerned authority who is issuing the notice/ heading line, followed by the date on which the notice is issued. One should also include the name of the person who is writing their notice along with their designation. Therefore it should be designed in such a way that all the needed credentials should be included as:
1) organization name
2) The date on which the notice is issued and published
3) Subject regarding what the notice contains
4) The body of the notice should have the details regarding the place and time of that specific event
5) Signature of the concerned authority and also the contact details of the authority.